Do you know what that countdown is to? I suppose a better question would be, “Does anyone out there speak Icelandic??” (Do I have readers in Iceland? Because that would be cool…) Back on track here. That countdown is to the Reykjavik Marathon on August 23rd, 2014.
Although I somehow manage to never blog about my travels (completely breezed over Ethiopia from a couple years ago, hardly mentioned Poland from a few months ago…), but I do love to travel, and most countries are on my bucket list. Iceland, however, is definitely high up on the list since a few friends have been there recently (hey there, Alyssa and Celia! Sidenote: They don’t blog anymore…), including running the marathon, and it looks nothing short of amazing. Just google “Iceland” or “Reykjavik” and see the beauty for yourself. Combine the beauty of the country with the beauty of running (yes, I went there), and you get something like this:
So why am I babbling on about beautiful pictures and a race I’ve never ran? Well, the awesome Laura from Runner’s World alerted me about a sweepstakes that Runner’s World and Iceland Naturally are putting on. What’s in it for you, you ask? Well, here you go…
• Economy round-trip air on Icelandair for two (2) persons from select Icelandair gateways.*
• Three (3) nights accommodation in Reykjavik at Hotel Nordica based on double occupancy, with Scandinavian buffet breakfast daily, except on arrival date.
• Two (2) 72 Hours Reykjavík Welcome Cards, providing free access to City of Reykjavik world-famous thermal pools, museums and public transportation, plus various retail discounts.
• Two (2) entries to the Reykjavik Marathon
• Two (2) roundtrip bus transfer from the airport to hotel in Reykjavik
• One (1) case of Icelandic Glacial water for your hotel room
• Two (2) Experience Comfort entries to the Blue Lagoon Spa
• Two (2) award winning Snaefell jackets from 66°North
I repeat…a trip for two to Iceland to run the Reyjavik Marathon. Read that one more time, please, because it is that amazing.
What’s in it for me?
Nothing! I just think this is an awesome opportunity and want to spread the news. Although, if you win, you must promise to take me with you. (I’ll accept chocolate chip cookies in lieu of this, but I promise I’m a fantastic travel buddy. I do run in my sleep though, so my apologizes in advance.)
So how do you enter??
Head over to this website: http://insidetrack.runnersworld.com/sweepstakeiceland and enter your info! You know you want to!
(Side note: You must live in the United States, be at least 18 years old, and have a passport. The more you know.)
Not convinced yet?
If free travel to a beautiful country sponsored by Runner’s World isn’t enough for you, then you must be a tough sell. However, here are a few more things to convince you:
- Running a new country is fun. You have no idea what those spectators are saying, so you can just imagine they’re all cheering for you. (Or they’ll yell for everyone from Denmark, as they did when I ran Berlin.)
- Running a race marked in kilometers is very different than running in miles. I learned this at the Berlin Marathon…although the race distance is the same (obviously…), kilometers click off faster since they’re shorter, so it makes you feel like you’re moving along quicker. Plus, no matter how good you are at mental math, you probably won’t really be sure how far along 33 kilometers really is, and by the time you figure it out, you’re already at kilometer 34! Victory!
- The weekend coincides with Culture Night (that’s planned on purpose…), which is a huge festival that draws in about 1/3 of the Icelandic population. It’s planned on Reykjavik’s anniversary (or right around it) and is full of concerts, exhibitions, tours, shows, and events. Talk about a post-marathon party!
- Once you’re done celebrating, the Blue lagoon Looks like a great place to spend some post-marathon time. Take me there now! (No really, I was thinking about going to Iceland is August anyway.)
- You get me as a travel buddy! (Not a requirement…but please?)
What are you waiting for?
Here’s the entry form again http://insidetrack.runnersworld.com/sweepstakeiceland, and you have until April 1 to sign up! Scare away the Polar Vortex (please?) with some thoughts of a summer getaway to Iceland!
Let me know if you enter (and if you’re taking me with if you win…), or if you have suggestions for travel in Iceland!
I did not receive any compensation, etc. related to these companies or this event. I did learn how to spell Reykjavik correctly on the first try, so thumbs up for that.