NOTR Goals for 2011

image

I think Calvin says it best.  The buzz around blogland is that we’re not making resolutions this year, we’re setting goals.  Which is something I can get on board with.  I don’t want to change what I’m doing, I want to work towards something better.  Without further ado, here are my goals for 2010:

RUNNING

• Run a 3:10 marathon.  Why not?  My current PR is 3:22, which was an 11 minute PR for me.  Another 12 minutes is a big jump, but go big or go home.  In my race report for the Chicago marathon, I mentioned this quote:  “Maybe I can’t run as fast as I believe but maybe just maybe I can run much faster and I will never know unless I try.”  You don’t know unless you try.  Not saying I’ll do it on my next marathon, but you never know!
  • Stay injury free.  After battling my IT band for two marathons, I want to stay health…I’ve been great since I switched my shoes (but stayed true to my Brooks!), so I just need to listen to my body and stretch and foam roll for preventative measures.
  • Core work and lifting.  I say this every year.  I need someone to come yell at me to do this…I guess that’s what they call personal trainers.
  • Run for fun!  Running is what I love to do, so it better be enjoyable.  I’m doing the Reach the Beach Relay in May, which is going to be a blast.
  • Run more races in general.  I usually only run marathons, but races are fun and are great events for meeting other runners and having a good time in general, so why not?  Plus, I obviously need another race tshirt.  (Lies!)

LIFE

• Do one “New York-y” thing every month.  I’m new to this city that has TONS of things to do, right at my fingertips.  It’s time to see shows, taking cooking classes, and watch the Knicks.  Please let me know if you want to be my nerdy tourist buddy!
  • Travel!  My trip to surf camp in Costa Rica this past year was amazing.  Gotta do something equally as awesome because there’s more to this world than NYC.  :)
  • Volunteer.  So many organization in NYC, and lots of them are related to health promotion, nutrition, and/or running.  Sounds good to me.
  • Be a good nurse.  Oh my goodness I have so much to learn.
  • Smile.  Be happy.  Try to make others happy.  Because life is so much better than ever before.  (Yes, I’m dramatic, but when you used to cry daily, you have a different perspective, I promise.)

Sounds like a good year to me!  Let’s see what happens…I can’t even describe how far I’ve come in the past year, and 2011 is shaping up to be pretty good too.  :)

**************************************************************************************************

Short and sweet run today…six miles.  My legs felt tired, but the pace was fine…I swear it felt like I was running nine minute miles, but that simply wasn’t true.  The weather was in the 30’s and sunny, which was perfect running weather.  Fabulous day for running in the park…can’t beat that!

Wednesday, January 5
6.22 miles in 48:31, avg pace of 7:48

Love it.

Comments

These are all GREAT goals. I would love to do more “fun” running too. I did a relay two summers ago, and it was fantastic. Eight sweaty people in a rented minivan? Yes, please.

Great goals–a 3:10 marathon, yippee! I’m glad that you also have some non-running goals in there too. 2011 looks like a fast, fun, and fulfilling year for you!

(P.S. Another goal should be to send me some of your baked goods. I’m glad we’ve established this.)

I guess I was following the trend of setting goals without even knowing it! One of which, also being to stay injury free! I love your goals! I’ve been living here for more than 6 years but I still love doing ‘new york-y’ things and would love to join you! Oh, and volunteering… check out NY Cares. It’s a great organization that matches people with all sorts of different opportunities, including health and fitness. Some are one-time only but others are ongoing. Might be just what you’re looking for!

Sounds like 2011 is gonna be a gerat one! :) I think these are awesome goals. I’m the same way — at this point in my life, I’m all about setting goals instead of resolutions. I think resolutions are too vague and they never seem to stick. I like having a concrete goal to work toward.

DId you ever pick your marathon??

your blog makes me happy!!!

I want to get up to NYC sometime and you can take me on a New Yorky thing!

Also I have to add that your switch story was the highlight of my day yesterday!

Great goals for 2011! I especially like your goal to do something new-yorky every month. So glad that this year is going better for you! :)

You probably already know, but if you run nine NYRR races and volunteer for one you get automatic entry into next year’s NY marathon. That would be a nice reward and be incentive for hitting two goals.

Awesome goals Susan! I hope you can find some really fun ways to volunteer in the health and fitness field! I bet NYC has tons of great opportunities for that!

2011 is going to be an awesome year! But I noticed that you didn’t include “join a book club” (hee,hee… just kidding). I’m an excellent nerd & NYC tourist wannabe FYI.

I am with you on the weights; as for more races such as the 5 or 10k, I would love to do more, but man they are expensive. 3:10 is in hand for you.

2 more reasons I should be your roomie… I would love to do new yorky things with you and I desperately need a -gasp- lifting buddy. K is big in to lifting and seems to think that I need to join him. As of right now I’m holding off until he commits to running a race with me. :p

I can’t WAIT for you to knock out a 3:10. Dudes’ BQ? Why the fffffff not?!?!?! :D

Great list! You do have another speedier marathon in you! And I think we should all run for fun. :) Actually, that is what I always do… oops.

Doing one New York-y thing a day is great. I am excited to see what those things are!